An assortment of links and works to make the editor's job easier.
- ReadabilityFormulas.com: A commercial site with free articles on various methods for calculating readability, including methods by Fry, Flesch, Dale/Chall, and more.
Writing bias-free and gender-neutral copy
- Maggio, Rosalie. "The Bias-Free Word Finder: A Dictionary of Nondiscriminatory Language." Boston: Beacon Press, 1992.
- Miller, Casey and Kate Swift. "The Handbook of Nonsexist Writing." 2nd ed. Lincoln, NE: iUniverse.com, 2001.
- Weber, Jean Hollis, "Gender-Neutral Technical Writing."
Writing for international audiences
- Kohl, John R. "The Global English Style Guide: Writing Clear, Translatable Documentation for a Global Market." Cary, NC: SAS Institute, 2008.
- Singh, Nitish and Arun Pereira. "The Culturally Customized Web Site." Burlington, MA: Elsevier, 2005.
- International Organization for Standardization: For currency and date-time conventions.
- Bureau International des Poids et Mesures: For the treatment of numbers and the International System of Units.
- International Telecommunication Union: For telephone numbers.
Help with math and statistics copy
- Free webinar on math for journalists, from Poynter's News University
- Robert Niles's guide to statistics for writers
- Writing with Statistics from the Purdue Online Writing Lab
- Statistics guide from the University of North Carolina
- Dlugan, Andrew, "Wrap Your Naked Statistics in a Warm Blanket of Meaning."
- U.S. Copyright Office: Learn more about copyright, register a copyrighted work, and find out about ownership of works registered in the U.S.
- Intellectual Property Office: To learn more about copyright protection in the U.K.
- World Intellectual Property Organization: For links to intellectual property offices in various countries.
- IThenticate: Web-based tool for checking the originality of work (paid service)
- Fishman, Stephen. "The Public Domain: How to Find and Use Copyright-Free Writings, Music, Art & More." 4th ed. Berkeley, CA: Nolo Press, 2008.
- Stim, Richard. "Getting Permission: How to License & Clear Copyrighted Materials Online & Off." 3rd ed. Berkeley, CA: Nolo Press, 2007.
- Stim, Richard. "Patent, Copyright & Trademark: An Intellectual Property Desk Reference." 10th ed. Berkeley, CA: Nolo Press, 2009.